Fresh Laundry and a Healthy Home
Laundry detergents are the source of some of our favorite scents. The smell of freshly washed laundry can be an immediate source of comfort. You feel at home when you catch a whiff of your freshly laundered linens, and it's even better when that scent follows your throughout your day. Did you know that some of the perfumes used in major detergent brands are actually composed of harmful ingredients?
An easy way to avoid these intense chemicals is to switch them out entirely. You can use a natural laundry detergent that is free of any scent, and then create your own perfect blend by adding essential oils to it. Read this article out for definitive information on what you should be avoiding, New York Times on Perfume Chemicals. Here at You've Got Maids, we stay far away from toxic chemicals. Even the air freshener that we use in your home is completely eco-friendly. You should choose a Natural Laundry Detergent from this list to take a healthy step towards living a life free of harsh chemicals. Once you have your detergent of choice, let's take a look at some of the essential oils that you can include in your wash cycle.
Check out the rest of our laundry tips on our Ultimate Guide to an Efficient Laundry Room.
Essential Oils to Liven up Your Laundry
Choosing an essential oil to mix into your laundry can be a daunting task. There's so many great options to choose from, and you can mix your favorites to create your very own perfect blend. Choose one, two, or even three of these scents that you're fond of and personalize your clothes with this new freshly laundered scent.
- Orange, citrus is known for it its cleaning properties, as well as its mood lifting scent
- Lavender, a floral scent that is known for its calming properties. It is sure to help you relax.
- Lemon, is an energizing scent that naturally has antiseptic, and anti-fungal characteristics. It's also great at removing grease stains. Pair this with eucalyptus for a great grease removal boost.
- Eucalyptus, smells fresh and pure and is sure to remove any grease stain when paired with lemon
- Peppermint, fresh and energizing, it'll sooth nauseous feelings and brighten your day.
- Cedar wood, warm and soothing scent that does double duty by repelling moths and other pests.
- Oregano, warm and fragrant scent that naturally fights bacteria and prevents mildew.
- Spruce, a woodsy scent that does a great job at boosting up your detergent with grease removal.
- Sage, a warm herbal scent, which can help remove oils from your laundry.
- Thyme, similar to Sage, an herbal scent that helps to remove oils from your clothing.
- Tea tree, smells bright and has antiseptic and astringent properties.
- Grapefruit, citrusy and bright with the added benefit of sanitizing and brightening your white clothes.
- Geranium, is an oil that is calming and floral.
- Palmarosa, smells like floral and citrus and is derived from a herb-like grass.
- Bergamot, is bright and citrusy, it's commonly associated with Earl Grey tea. The scent actually comes form the lime family, rather than the tea leaves.
- Citronella, fresh and citrusy, and even helps to keep the bugs away.
- Red Mandarin, is sweet, fruity and citrusy.
- Chamomile, calming and floral - not to mention reminiscent of everyone's favorite bedtime tea.
You've Got Maids uses environmentally friendly products that will keep you, and your home feeling safe and healthy. If you haven't experienced the freedom that comes along with having someone else do your cleaning for you, request a free estimate so we can naturally freshen up every surface of your home.