You really may not want to know. Topping the list are:
- lawn chemicals
- lead dust
- asbestos particles
- animal feces
...and the list goes on. Although wall-to-wall carpeting is virtually impossible to clean thouroughly, Web MD offers some great carpet cleaning tips, including:
- Encourage family members to remove shoes upon entrance into the home.
- Vacuum two or more times per week.
- Clean up spills on carpets immediately to prevent stains.
- Use household ingredients to clean carpet stains
- As a last resort carpet stain remover, try rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
- Use baking soda to remove odor from carpets.
- Steam clean carpets with plain water.
- Ventilate well during and after carpet cleaning.